This article identifies six key points that people with tardive dyskinesia, a side effect of antipsychotic medications that causes repetitive and involuntary movements, primarily in the facial and mouth muscles, want others to know:
- Individuals with tardive dyskinesia often have a constant awareness of their symptoms
- Stress can worsen the symptoms of tardive dyskinesia
- Everyday activities can be difficult for individuals with tardive dyskinesia
- Tardive dyskinesia can affect individuals’ ability to work and be social
- Many people with tardive dyskinesia live with uncertainty about their health and financial well-being
- Living with a chronic condition like tardive dyskinesia can take a toll on emotional health
Reference: 6 Things People With Tardive Dyskinesia Want You to Know. Everyday Health. Published July 9, 2018. Accessed June 5, 2023. https://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/neurology/what-its-like-have-tardive-dyskinesia/.